As the third-most populous county in California, Orange County is home to a number of beautiful beaches and major attractions that make it a fun destination and home for more than three million people. However, Orange County has its problems with addiction and substance abuse like all other counties in California and throughout the nation.
Here are the most recent statistics surrounding addiction in Orange County, and how this serious, chronic condition can be treated at drug rehab centers.
Orange County Addiction Statistics
- An estimated one in six people in Orange County report needing help and professional treatment for mental, emotional, or substance abuse problems, reports Orange County’s Healthier Together organization.
- The number of hospitalizations in Orange County related to alcohol and drug abuse is higher than that reported in 75% of counties in California.
- The number of deaths in Orange County caused by drug overdose and alcohol poisoning increased 82% from 2000 to 2017, reports Orange County Health Care Agency.
- In Orange County, males are nearly two times more likely than females to experience hospitalization or death from drug- and alcohol-related causes.
- In 2017, an estimated 78.6% of drug overdose deaths in Orange County were accidental. Nearly 52% of these deaths involved prescription drugs and nearly 67% involved opioids.
- An estimated 56% of opioid-related deaths in Orange County are caused by prescription opioids such as oxycodone and hydrocodone.
- In 2017, Orange County females were 1.6 times more likely than males to overdose from prescription drugs.
- In 2017, men and women in Orange County aged 65 and older made up the highest percentage of prescription drug overdose deaths at 87.4%.
- Between 2000 and 2017 in Orange County, there was an average of 5,500 hospitalizations per year and an average of 700 deaths per year caused by drug overdose and alcohol poisoning.
- In 2017 in Orange County, the average hospital stay for drug overdose or alcohol poisoning was 4.3 days.
How Addiction Can Be Treated In Orange County
People in Orange County who suffer from substance use disorders can avoid hospitalization, overdose, and poisoning by getting help at drug and alcohol rehab centers. Orange County is home to many addiction treatment centers that offer detoxification services and behavioral therapies designed to treat addiction as a whole, both physically and mentally.
Drug and alcohol detox treatments help people safely withdraw from these substances while being closely monitored and cared for by highly trained nurses and medical staff. Medications are often used to reduce the severity of withdrawal symptoms and to prevent them from presenting in the first place, in some instances. The National Library of Medicine reports that drug detox can last anywhere from a few days to a few months based on the severity of withdrawal and lingering symptoms.
Following the acute withdrawal phase, many patients transition from detox into a drug rehab program to receive a variety of behavioral therapies aimed at helping them improve and change harmful drug-using behaviors. These therapies are conducted one-on-one and in groups, and sometimes include fun recreational activities including music therapy, art therapy, and equine therapy. Drug rehab programs are often tailored for each patient based on the root causes of their substance use disorders and on their personal preferences for treatment.
If someone you care about is suffering from drug or alcohol addiction, give Dana Point Rehab Campus in Orange County a call. Connecting your friend or loved one with treatment as soon as possible can help them avoid a fatal poisoning or overdose.